Thursday, 31 July 2008
Now I sit at VonHaus, my first time here... I must come back. It is a welcoming room, with a warm patina. Aged walls & cherry blossoms, jars of dry goods line the kitchen shelves. I have myself a ploughman's lunch ($14), consisting of a boiled egg, aged cheddar, a piece of apple, cornichons, pickles served with some bread & butter. All my favourite things, on one enamel plate! This place gives you something the city usually can not. Old-school country charm, mixed with european hospitality & unpretentious indie-cool. The food is simple, the winelist is wonderfully eclectic & the atmosphere is comforting.
I had just been upstairs to the vintage sale I heard of somewhere around the traps. I found myself a ladies hat & a nice blue seventies collared shirt. The sale is still on til saturday, enter Vonhaus & go upstairs. There are lots of clothes, shoes, sunnies & other accessories.
After my lunch, I tottled off to pick up some new season tea from Lupicia & then off to carlton for a snip snip of the old hair.
Before making my way home, I purchased a tray of gnocchi from Dominics on lygon. This I cooked for dinner with a light sauce of broccoli, anchovy, pine nut & garlic. With a pear, parmesan & rocket salad on the side.
And to finish the day, a stint at the sewing machine to finish off a gift.
Wednesday, 30 July 2008
Tuesday, 29 July 2008
I've been buying cute second hand jars to store my pantry supplies in. The two smaller ones were found in windsor op shops & the large one was found at rosebud.
I purchased this arabia jar on ebay about 5 months ago, and I've been waiting very patiently fo it to arrive from Canada. Yesterday it came in the mail. The boy thought I had finally lost my marbles... as to save on packaging, they sent it in a box originally for an electric potpourri diffuser with the most hideous design you've ever seen. He was quite distraught that he had to open the box to get a good look at the thing, to discover with relief, it's true identity.
I was also inspired recently by the lovely Nichola, to make some soap. The recipe she used was for soap from scratch & it involves the use of caustic soda. I'm a bit wary of this stuff, so for my first attempt at soap making I thought I could make some re-batched soap. After a little while clicking around, I stumbled across this girl who had made some from a recipe she found here. So yesterday I got to it and whipped some up, I must say it was a bit tough on the stirring arm, but overall pretty easy & took about half an hour. I added almond essence & oats to mine for a good scrubby feeling. Now they just need a week to cure & they're good to go.
Monday, 28 July 2008
I did truly have a giggle over this.
So here's the recipe, not only is it delicious... it's super good for you too.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
- 300gm sweet potato, peeled & cut into chunks
- 2 tsp mustard seed oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 120gm mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400gm can lentils, rinsed & drained (I use dried lentils, cooking them prior)
- 400gm can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 30gm grated cheddar cheese, optional
- 20gm fresh breadcrumbs
- Boil the potato & sweet potato together in a medium saucepan for 15 mins, or until soft. Drain, add the mustard seed oil, season & mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot & celery & cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 mins, or until vegetables are slightly soft. Add the zucchini, mushrooms & garlic & cook for 3-4 mins more. Add the tomato paste & cook for 2 mins. Add the lentils, tomatoes & 60ml water, & stir to combine. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins. Stir through chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed potato & sprinkle with grated cheese & breadcrumbs. Cook until topping is golden & bubbling. Serve immediately.
- Serves 4 - Prep time: 20 mins - Cooking time: 35 mins
I've joined in on this meme, because I've seen other super people doing it...
It's a nice way to summarise the month.
Reading... Beatrix Potter-The extraordinary life of a victorian genius, by Linda Lear
Watching... Michael Clayton, Antiques Roadshow & Top Gear
Listening... Ryan Adams, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, Gillian Welch, James Hunter & Gene Clark
Learning... to balance my life, a continual lesson
Finding... $2 pyrex in the op shops
Cooking... Recipes from this book
Crafting... a ribbed scarf, cushion covers & granny blanket
Pretty easy really - pick any day of the month to post (maybe when you can't think of a thing to blog about!) and give us a handful of highlights beginning with an action, like: reading... or eating...
Give it a title, 'Just a minute... in (insert month)' so others can find them easily in your post list.
Friday, 25 July 2008
Thursday, 24 July 2008
1. Where is your cell phone? bedroom
2. Your significant other? workshop
3. Your hair? mousy
4. Your daughter? no
5. Your son? neither
6. Your favorite thing? happiness
7. Your dream last night? none
8. Your favorite drink? tea
9. Your goal? learning
10. The room you’re in? studio
11. Your church? friendship
12. Your fear? loss
13. Where do you want to be in 6 years? mothering
14. Where were you last night? work
15. What you’re not? nasty
16. Muffins? bikkies
17. One of your wish list items? acreage
18. Where you grew up? macgregor
19. The last thing you did? slept
20. What are you wearing? trackies
21. Your TV? asleep
22. Your pets? adorable
23. Your computer? awake
24. Your life? happy
25. Your mood? groany
26. Missing someone? emma
27. Your car? flat
28. Something you’re not wearing? hat
29. Favorite store? market
30. Your summer? long
31. Like(love) someone? always
32. Your favorite color? yellow
33. Last time you laughed? yesterday
34. Last time you cried? forget
35. Who will repost this? hollie
Wednesday, 23 July 2008
It was published in New York for PanAm, I'm still trying to figure out the year.
Tuesday, 22 July 2008
Friday, 18 July 2008
Thursday, 17 July 2008
So anyway, in my break yesterday I snapped some new hosier lane graffiti. There really are some clever chooks out there, check out the knitted sock for the bollard.
Monday, 14 July 2008
So, where shall I start?
I really don't like the water. It's always cold, and I don't like being cold. I also don't like getting wet, especially my face. I don't like the waves, because to me they are unpredictable & I always end up getting splashed in the face or totally dunked. And then there is the fact of salty water, I have sensitive eyes and it always stings like hell. What else is there... oh, the wind. So gusty all the time by the sea. And the sand, it gets everywhere and then you get sandblasted and it's in your eyes and mouth and in your drink.
So anyway, what I'm trying to say is... give me a photo of the beach anyday.
Friday, 11 July 2008
Wednesday, 9 July 2008
Lastly, new upon my lapel is a brooch. A gift from my sister to say thankyou for having her this past week. What a sweetie. The brooch is by Dan McGill, you can find him at the rose st markets on saturdays & the st kilda markets on sundays.
Monday, 7 July 2008
On sunday, we got up before the crack of dawn to do the camberwell markets. I had a stall to sell off some unwanteds and scored a cute little brown owl for the cluhouse and some awesome vintage wallpaper that I'll have to show later in the week.
Here are some snaps of the goodness.
Saturday, 5 July 2008
I'm not going to tag anyone, feel free to play along.
|1.||Hollies - The Air That I Breathe|| |
|2.||The Beatles - Come Together|| |
|3.||The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black|| |
|4.||The Doors - Light My Fire|| |
|5.||The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon|| |
|6.||Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven|| |
|7.||The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville|| |
My teacher was Mrs Frampton & I thought she was the greatest thing since I met my mum. That's her in the picture... the tall one that is, & if you look down to her right, the girl with the long blonde hair & pink bow... that's me. We were doing the hokey pokey, infront of the whole school & our mums & dads. I was a nerd, aswell as a big suck... I used to give my teacher shoulder massages... too funny.
All the other kids in my class ate glue... but I never quite understood why. Oh how I miss those days.