Saturday 29 May 2010

quilts, country drives & camelias...

Life's pretty quiet on the farm at the moment. The temperature is dropping & many days are spent pottering about the house, enjoying the warmth of the fire. The little man is growing so much & every day we're amazed by the changes. To be completely honest... we're absolutely besotted. My favourite spot to be, is lying on the couch with him asleep on my chest. I love to smell his sweet head & feel the rise & fall of his breath.
There's a bit of crochet happening whilst on the couch. I'm trying to keep a few heads warm this winter, so I'm churning out the beanies.
I've pieced together half a small quilt top for our friend's little bubba. I first grouped these four fabrics together a few years back, saving them for when I had a little girl. Now I've decided to pass them on in a quilt. I don't know how I'm going to part with the finished product, I do love them terribly.
I haven't really left the house much lately, so today we took ourselves for a drive through the hills. We love whooshing along in Petula (my '78 jag). She does drink a fair bit, but she is just so lovely. Soon she'll be on gas, so I can whoosh about as much as I like!
Many dirt roads were taken, to see the unseen. We call ourselves the "B-Road Bandits", for highways are way too boring. Who says you can't take ungraded hilly roads in an old jag?
I'm also happy beacause the first camelias have opened. I love this time of year for the flowers, if not the cold. It's so nice to have them in the house.
I like to go jonquil picking along side country roads, it's just such a romantic notion. Last winter we met Anne, a crazy old lady doing the exact same thing as us. She was slightly more prepared, I must admit. She had wellies on & two buckets that she had filled to the brim. Her hot tip was to climb over the bank to get the ones with more heads. They sure were beautiful... but no way was I scaling the bank in my lovely boots & coat! This year perhaps I'll do it. She told us all about the area back in the day & her Aunt Katie, who used to take her on the train & buy her lollies. It's interesting what you can learn from a stranger, when you give them the time.
That's all for now. I hope you're having a delightful weekend where you are.

4 comments:

Andi said...

What a gorgeous country life you're living at the moment.
Enjoy every delicious minute!!

dixiebelle said...

Sweet days with a new baby, just drinking in all their newborny goodness!

bec said...

Great honeycomb fabric! Lucky little Huckle, it's great to have besotted parents! Can you send me your address so I can send him a pressie?

pen said...

I love rainy days and camelias and backroads country drives.
beautiful!
let me know if you ever find a wild patch of old fashion freesias- I'll come and roll in them!