Friday 14 May 2010

back baking & other country calamities...

I'm beginning to function again. Huckle is being a darling most days & while he naps, I bake. For one must eat & one must eat delicious things. Here on the farm, we've been eating lovely homemade breads & scones & loaves of all sorts.
You just can't get a decent loaf of bread down our way, so making our own is the only way to go. I make a wholemeal loaf most days of the week & today there was some wholemeal date scones too.
I've also been experimenting & tried my skills at a raisin bread, using my usual dough as a base. To my surprise, it was a success! I just added raisins (of course), cinnamon & a touch of sugar. The husband says it is the best ever. I can always rely on him to think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ha ha, sorry about that. I just couldn't help my daggy ol' self.
In other news, our hairy cows have decided it's quite alot of fun to escape the paddock first thing of a morning. This is usually discovered by a phone call from a nearby farmer or some random stranger knocking on our door at an ungodly hour. So out of bed we get, to run about yelling with a piece of polypipe in hand to herd them back in. We then have to find the loose fencing , after which Samuel then spends the morning tensioning the wires. Oh my, so much fun... NOT!!! Those bloody cows!
I've told Samuel, next year I'll be happy with a box of chocolates for my birthday.
Thank you all so much for your kind words on my last post. It was a hard thing to write about, but I felt I had to acknowledge it here in this space. Our friends really are beautiful souls & are a big part of our life down here in the country.

2 comments:

dixiebelle said...

Chocolates, no! Not nearly as fun! The bread looks delicious...

suze2000 said...

Have you ever posted a bread recipe? I can't manage to make a decent loaf of bread for the life of me.